Because God is the Savior, only He has the authority to say what is required of us, to be forgiven of our sins and to be accepted into His family of the saved.
The answer God gave through Peter in Acts 2 was the one answer given throughout the book of Acts, instructing people in their obedience to God. Even today, that answer has not changed. If we want to be forgiven, we must repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of our sins, and He will add us to His Church (Acts 2:47).
WHAT MUST I DO TO BE SAVED?
- HEAR the Gospel – Romans 10:17 – So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.
- BELIEVE the Gospel – Mark 16:16 – He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.
- REPENT of your sins – Acts 2:38 – Then Peter said to them, repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
- CONFESS that Jesus Christ is Lord – Romans 10:9-10 – that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
- Be BAPTIZED for the remission of your sins – Acts 22:16 – And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
WHAT MUST I DO TO REMAIN SAVED?
- Work out your own salvation – Phillipians 2:12
- Attend worship services – Acts 20:7, Hebrews 10:25
- Add to your faith the seven Christian graces – II Peter 1:5-11
- Study the Bible – II Timothy 2:15, Psalms 1:1-6
- Practice the Fruit of the Spirit – Galatians 5:22-26